Roasted Garlic & Parmesan Cauliflower and Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Congratulations on growing some cauliflower! This recipe I’m about to share is one of my favorites because it takes eating veggies to the next level. If there’s one thing we’ve learned in the 21st century it's that vegetables aren’t bad if you cook them up right!
For this recipe, you’ll need this:
- 1/2 cup melted butter-- or butter substitute
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Italian or plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium cauliflower head-- or any size that you pulled from your garden
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove all leaves from the cauliflower head. Cut cauliflower into florets (make them look like mini trees), all roughly the same size. You can slice the large florets in half, if needed.
- Melt butter and in a small bowl. Add garlic and stir in.
- Place breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese in another bowl.
- Dip each cauliflower piece into butter first, then to breadcrumbs.
- Place each breaded piece on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you use up all cauliflower.
- Roast cauliflower for 35 to 32 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown.
This makes a great snack or dinner time appetizer! If yourself, your kids or a loved one is weary about veggies, this is a great way to get them to start loving them.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
You heard me, MAC AND CHEESE MADE WITH CAULIFLOWER. My sister made this and I fell in love. She has graciously shared the recipe with me to share with all of you!
Here’s what she used:
** What really makes this taste good is using real milk and real cheese. However, feel free to substitute as needed.
- 8 cups chopped cauliflower florets, 1/2-inch pieces (26 oz)
- 1 tbsp Real California butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tbsp flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 cups fat free Real California milk
- 7 ounces freshly grated Real California sharp cheddar, about 2 cups total
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place 1 inch of water in a large pot with 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender and crisp (6 to 7 minutes). Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes, to cook out the flour.
- Add the milk and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat completely onto another burner if possible. Add the cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup at a time, mixing well until the cheese is all melted.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower, then pour into a baking dish and bake until bubbly and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Then broil for 2 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned.
You can eat a whole plate before realizing it's not your average mac and cheese! The crunch adds a great element of "WOW".
If you try these out, share them with us! We'd love to see it!