Homemade Basil Pesto
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES Makes: 1 Cup
Basil is one of those magical plants that's hard to do without. Not only is is delicious and really versatile, it also acts as a natural insect deterrent, helping your garden stay even stronger and healthier.
Loving Italian food, one of our favorite things to make with Basil is homemade pesto! This can be enjoyed on pizzas, pasta, and even salads!
Here's one of our favorite recipes:
- 2 cups fresh basil (rinsed and dried)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (or try substituting with walnuts)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pulse the basil and nuts in a food processor until lightly mixed (3-4 pulses)
- Add the garlic and cheese, and then pulse several more times.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor to make sure everything mixes properly.
- Turn on the food processor, and pour in the olive oil slowly while it's running. Scrape down the sides if needed to allow for proper mixing.
- Stir in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with your favorite, pasta, pizza, salad, baked potatoes, crackers, the list goes on...