PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES SERVES: 4
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherryIngredients:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 bunching onions, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound hearts of head lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces
- In a small bowl, combine rice wine or sherry, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and pepper; set sauce aside.
- Heat a wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add oil, half of the scallions (including all of the white and light green pieces), and garlic and cook until garlic is golden, about 5 seconds.
- Add lettuce and stir-fry until lettuce softens slightly, about 1 minute. Drizzle in sauce and cook until lettuce is just coated with the sauce, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt, divide between 4 bowls while lettuce is just tender and still bright green, and garnish with remaining scallions.