Grilled Summer Squash
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES
Summer squash are one of our favorite parts of summer, and for good reason! They come in all shapes and sizes, and can produce an amazing amount on each plant. One of the best ways to enjoy them is by breaking out the BBQ on a warm summer evening.
Squash are really versatile and can be picked when they're very small, but can also be left until they get really huge! Our favorites are when they're small (about 3" for zucchini, 2" for round patty squash) or medium sized (8" for zucchini, 3-4" for the patty squash). This is when they're most tender.
The great thing about squash is that you can keep picking them for quite some time-- often for a month or two. You'll know it's time to retire your squash plant to the compost bin once it stops producing flowers and the last squash are being picked.
Here's one of our favorite (and really simple) recipes:
- 2-3 cups of Summer Squash (whole baby squash or larger squash cut into 3/4* slices).
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Your favorite herbs to taste (basil, oregano, garlic powder are some of our favorites)
- Cut squash into 3/4" slices if needed (baby squash can go straight on the grill or can be cut in half)
- Toss the squash with a drizzle of olive oil, as well as salt, pepper, and spices to taste (try some fresh ones from your Leaf'd Box!).
- Grill on medium-high heat for around 4-6 minutes. Cook until slightly charred and tender, turning once.
- Enjoy shortly after taking off the grill.