PREP TIME: 2-4 HOURS
You may be facing a new problem right now-- what do I do with all this delicious produce my garden is giving me! It's a great problem to have, and we're here to help.
For our herb box subscribers, your summer herbs should be in full force-- chives, oregano, parsley, basil and more. We also included basil in our summer veggie box, just because it's so great and versatile (gotta' love tomato, mozzarella, and basil!).
Drying your summer herbs can be a great way to enjoy your plants for even longer as the summer season winds down and the cooler weather fall plants are ready to be sent out. Here's some easy steps on how to do this:
- A selection of your favorite herbs from your garden
- Rinse off your herbs and dry by gently patting with a towel.
- Place the herb leaves on a cookie sheet one inch deep or less
- Put them in the oven on low heat (less than 180 F) for 2-4 hours.
- At the 2 hour mark, start checking to see if they are dry. You'll know when they are dry enough when they easily crumble. Check every 20 minutes until fully dry.
- Remove them from the oven and remove any remaining stems during the process. For best flavor, keep the leaves whole until they are ready to be used.
- Store in an air tight container in a cool area. Dried herbs are best used within a year.